Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Slavery and the Constitution

I had to make a special place in my notes for the extra stuff I learned beyond the topic. It had never occurred to me that the original buildings in Washington were built by slaves. I think it could generate some good discussion in my classroom.

I thought Dr. Finkleman was very fair in his approach of Slavery. He really seemed like he said it like it was, not the way we believe. I was glad he went through all of the theories of the cause of the Civil War. I had been teaching one theory that was a very old one. I will have to 'chew on' the idea that slavery was the real cause because I had been taught differently.

I will have to be careful when I talk about slavery with my own students. I worry that someone will be offended even though these things are fact. Perhaps I should preface any discussion with a caution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home