Monday, November 21, 2005

Miner Chapter 7: Dust and Democrats

The Great Depression hit the United States hard. Kansas farmers had been hurting for some time and the Dust storms made things even worse. The areas of Kansas that had manufacturing suffered least at first. Eventually, however, Kansas was also seeking help from the New Deal. The New Deal had provisions for farmers, others benefited from the W.P.A. and C.C.C. branches of the New Deal. (My grandfather was one of those)
Ultimately, WWII pulled Kansas and other states out of the Depression. Kansas manufacturers benefited especially from the war effort.

I think I would focus on the last part, Kansas during WWII. I think by focusing on the Home Front from Kansas' point-of-view might make it more relavent to my students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home