Wednesday, August 24, 2005

HIST 813 Primary Sources 24 August

Hello all--

My name is Tracy Hutton. I have been a teacher at Lansing High School for 6 years. Since being involved with Project eHIKES and Project Primary Sources, I have been immersed into the world of primary documents. Through practice, I have learned the value of using primary documents in the classroom. In fact, my whole outlook on history and teaching has changed. I not longer look at history as a subject to study. I am really beginning to see history as the science that it is. A science teacher would never teach science by purely lecturing. In science, students hold, manipulate, test, and question things. History should be the same.

I have learned where to go and find primary sources and the idea of 'primary research' no longer scares me. I am taking this class for a number of reasons. One reason is that is will require me to go in search of new sources that I can use in the classroom. When I am in the middle of teaching and planning, sometimes I don't take the time out to do this like I should. I look forward to getting more primary sources collected and I hope that we will all be able to share what we find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home