Monday, November 21, 2005

Miner Chapter 9: Like the Nations

I remember when the Wolf Creek nuclear power plant was put into operation. As a child growing up in Iola, I remember my parents talking about how it would be a target for the Soviets and that it could end up killing us, yet we didn't get the tax benefits from it. Yeah, a nice thing for a kid to worry about. Wolf Creek brought controversy with it, but today, the fears seemed to have eased.

I really like the poem on page 383. I could use this poem in class having my students put it into historical perspective to see what the author is saying. We could then compare it to what is going on in Kansas today.

Finally, Western Kansas' dissatisfaction and threats to break away will be of special interest to my students. We could discuss whether or not they would ever be successful and what the rest of Kansas can do to satisfy them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home