Sunday, November 27, 2005

Kansas Paper Reviews

Teri Blancho: The Clay Industries of Pittsburg, Kansas
Paper was very informative. I did not know that Kansas brick had been used at the Indianapolis Speedway. This topic would be good to include in a unit on labor issues in American History.

Mike McEwan: The Early History of Moran, Kansas
The paper was very informative. As a former resident of Allen County, I never knew much about Moran. I like the “Indian” explanation for the name of the town.

B. Jolene Pennington: Orphan Trains
This paper had a lot of information of orphan trains. I didn’t realize that some children did not know what was happening, they just thought they were going on a train ride. I would like to find more diary entries or first-hand accounts of these.

Michell Piva: Pleasures of the Past in Parsons
This paper gave me deeper insight into Parsons. It is interesting how each little town has its own personality based on its past. I would like to know how many bars are in Parsons today…

Eddie Kearns: The History of the Army Ammunition Plant in Parsons
I like how personal accounts of living alongside the ammunition plant were used in this paper. I had always heard of this ammunition plant but had very little knowledge of it. This paper was very informative.

John Seal: Bourbon County: The Little Known Places
I found this paper very interesting. It would be fun to take a road trip and try to find the remnants of these towns. It makes one wonder how much history has been lost as these towns disappeared.

Diane Reeves: The History of Dorrance
Before this paper, I had never even heard of Dorrance, Kansas. I never thought about the fact that a prairie fire could be so random and so devastating. The paper was well-written and I could tell there was a personal fondness for the town. I guess we are all tied to the place of our origins no matter where we go.

Rob Barcus: The History of the Katy Hospital
This was an interesting account of the beginnings and end of a town’s landmark. I had always heard the Katy name mentioned with Parsons, but I didn’t realize the extent of its influence. It was interesting to me that so many people thought so fondly of the hospital. In a world where hospitals have become so similar, like chain restaurants, it is nice to hear these stories of something that was known for its stories.

Mark McFarland: Julius Augustus Wayland, The Rise, Fall, and Remains
Wow! A great story on the history of J.A. Wayland the Appeal to Reason. I think I will use this background along with excerpts from the Appeal to Reason in my class.

Greg Traxon: Civil War Massacre in Southeast Kansas
This was a fascinating story. I would also like to find out more. I wonder what a metal detector in that area would turn up. This would also be a great class research topic. Tell the kids enough to get them started and then let them do some digging to see what they can come up with.

Mark Boyd: Mayhem in Marmaton Township: Allen County Land Wars, 1882-1888
This was a heavily-researched, well-written paper. As a life-long resident (until recently) of Allen County, I find this topic very interesting. I especially liked the maps and other documents that were scanned and attached.

Bill Wolff: Parsons and the New Deal
I have been interesting in finding this kind of information for other Kansas towns and counties. I wonder if other towns have a scrapbook collection similar to the one used for this paper. This is a great topic to address with kids because it brings home the W.P.A and C.C.C. more than just reading about it in a book.

Steven A. Clark: Douglass School: Disintegration or the Black Community
Mr. Clark is a great writer. This paper was the most well-written of any in this collection. I really appreciated what he had to say and I believe it is an important message that needs to be spread. Great Job!

Mary C. Colvin: Parsons, Kansas Public Education System Through The Years
This was a concise overview of the history of the Parsons’ educational system. The paper was very informative and I learned a lot that I didn’t know. I found it especially interesting when it was mentioned that the buried remains of the old school would resurface in the playground and have to be removed. Also, it is such a shame that they would demolish a school with all of the trophies and memorabilia still inside.

Julie D. Dunham: Race Riots in Independence
This paper was very well-written and the students of Independence will be very interested in knowing more about this. I found it interesting that the namesake of the zoo was once the president of the local KKK. This topic would be a great tie-in with race riots of larger cities.

Daniel P. Moss: The History of Education in Pittsburg, Kansas
This paper did a good job of showing the progression of education in Pittsburg over time. I like how the theme of “Dedicated to the education of all the children of all the people” was demonstrated throughout the years.

Tamara L. Ponce: The Heritage of the Joplin & Pittsburg Electric Railway Company
This was a very informative paper about a topic I knew nothing about. The graphic descriptions of accidents added to it. I would like to see some pictures of the railroad cars.

Faith E. Rosson: History of Edna, Kansas
I had always heard of Edna, Kansas—mainly for the mattress factory in its commercials—but I found it interesting that there was a real history there. Hearing about towns like this makes me wonder what the future holds for these towns. With populations rising, why are these areas declining?

Deborah C. Shaffer: The Katy Railroad and its Impact on Parsons, Kansas
I always wondered where the name Katy Railroad came from. Good paper. Paper shows evidence of extensive research on the topic. I wonder what the early history of Parsons is related to the Parsons of today.

Timothy J. Warsnak: African American Life In Wichita Through 1954
Great job on the history of the African American experience in Wichita. I would like to see the guide that was written about. It was obvious that a great deal of research went in to this paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home