Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Miner Chapter 4:Toward a Brighter Day

This chapter was about the great migration of blacks to Kansas. I found it interesting that despite efforts to encourage blacks to come to Kansas, there were many who didn't want them to settle in their towns. A sort of "not in my backyard" thing. This chapter helped me with evidence to prove my thesis for my research paper that Kansas is schizophrenic when it comes to race issues.

I think an in-depth study of this time would be great for my students. This is one of those issues that is quickly passed over for the sake of time. I would probably have them find personal accounts of both townspeople and black settlers. Finally, I would have them speculate as to why the black population declined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home