Friday, September 09, 2005

Richmond Chapter 3: Indian Removal and Christian Missionary Efforts

This chapter dealt with the attempts of the whites to bring Christianity and civility to the Natives while removing them from their homeland for white settlement. Despite the obvious use of this information (debating the issue of Indian removal), I see taking this information and using it in another way. I would like to answer the question, “what happened to those natives that were educated in the missions?” Richmond vaguely alludes to the fact that it had little influence, but I would like to find some evidence regarding this. Where could I go to find personal accounts? Do they even exist? I suppose one place to begin would be at the mission’s historical sites. Perhaps the activity could be one where my students attempt to find the answer to that question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home